I want to complain. What do I do?

If you wish to complain about a product or service purchased from Lix, you may apply for dispute resolution with:

Center for Klageløsning (Centre for Complaint Resolution) under the Danish Competition and Consumer Authority Carl Jacobsens Vej 35, 2500 Valby, Denmark. You can file a complaint via www.forbrug.dk

You can also use the European Commission's Online Dispute Resolution platform to file a complaint. This is especially relevant if you are a consumer resident outside Denmark, in another EU member state. File your complaint here - http://ec.europa.eu/odr

When filing a complaint, you must state our email address highfive@lix.com.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.